Thursday 11 October 2012

Mad Musings On: 'Across the Universe' - Beth Revis

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)


Beth Revis has commented before that this book is her version of Alice in Wonderland, mixed with a sci-fi murder mystery in spaceeeeee (And echos of Pigs in Spaceeeeeeeee ring in my head every time I remember her say that - it makes me smile).  I was glad to have met her recently at the Smart Chicks Kick It Tour recap here

Here's the official book blurb:
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


I'm done the book, but I'm still thinking about that opening chapter! If you've ever wanted to know what it feels like to be cryogenically frozen - this is the place to go! Not something I'd want to do....

I loved how all the twists and turns in the story kept me guessing what was going on. And I can only imagine what awaits the characters in the next two books... Will they ever make it to Centari-Earth? A lot of the time I kept thinking about Star Trek Voyager or Battlestar Galactica - they were also ships lost in space; trying to find their way home. The differences in the way that humanity acts between those stories - well, I think Beth Revis has it more believable. Would society flourish without outside intervention, or fall spectacularly? Guess it all depends on the leadership.....

I'm very much looking forward to book 2, A Million Suns 

5 out of 5 stars


4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you liked this one! I LOOOOOOOVE THIS SERIES! And that first chapter had me getting antsy -- it was so good!

    Great review, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I squirm in my seat just thinking about it! :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm reading this one right now. So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I KNOW! How awesome was this one? I loved all the surprise twists in the plot, too. And just when you think there isn't anything left for Beth Revis to reveal, the second book is full of them, too!!

    ReplyDelete