Monday 8 October 2012

Mad Musings This Week (Oct 8)

So what's been stirring in my brains this week?  The main one is HALLOWEEN - getting my costume together, getting my kids organized, visiting all the Halloween stores that have popped up around town....

There is one store, in particular, that has decorating down to a fine science.  Don't step on the mat (and by 'don't' I really mean DO!) or you'll be attacked by a bevy of mental patients trying to break down the door to get to you....but no worries, the fuzz will show up to take them all down....  This is all achieved by a couple of cool tv screens behind a door, and a well choreographed door shaker and even a few shoots of mist through the cracks!  This same store also plays horror movies and has a row of seats set up with more mental patients/zombies, rocking in the seats.... I'm sensing a theme in their decorating!  If you are in Edmonton, you have to check out the Halloween store on Gateway Blvd by the Toys R Us.  Plus , if you dare to actually buy something.... watch out for spiders.....
.
I brought the kids back a few times.... and bought some cool zombie things for my son's costume....

Halloween for me also means all things Steampunk:  And I've been immersing myself in imagery for inspiration for my costume.  While I haven't started the infamous gun yet, I did assemble many other things for my costume - I'm going to wear it for a trial run at the very first Edmonton Comic Expo Oct 20-21

Here's my idea of steampunk:  
belt/holstersteampunk accessoriesSteampunk girl - coooooool!steampunk - the hat!What can I say -  like the hat! LOL

Now I'm sure that anything I put together won't be this elaborate, but I'll sure have fun trying!

Let's talk steampunk books!  I recently read a great Beta read called Beautiful Freaks by Katie M John
Picturehere, and it's put me in the mood for more.  
In the past I've read Boneshaker - Cheri Priest -great read,
And this series (To die for!)
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)clockwork Princess is out March 19 - I CAN'T WAIT!
                                              Clockwork Prince review

But I want to read more, so I'll try these two next:

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1)

Looking forward to them!


Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving - Stumpy, our one legged turkey, turned out grand last night. 







2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see your costume! I love the whole steampunk look!

    As for the books, LOVE the Infernal Devices series! I don't mind the Kady Cross books, though I thought the second book in that series was a lot better than the first.

    Thanks for sharing, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all things Cassandra Clare! Very excited for City of Bones in March :-)

      Good to know that about the Cross books, I'll remember to hang in there.

      I'm can't wait to see my costume too! I really hope it's not lame. (Cross my fingers)

      Delete