Tuesday 18 September 2012

Smart Chicks Kick It Tour Hits Edmonton


On Thursday, Sept 13 I joined the Edmonton Book Bloggers at Westside Chapters for this groundbreaking event. Not knowing what to expect, we had a plan to get in line as early as possible.  I arrived around 3:30, and found that our group was at the head of the line! WOO HOO Thanks to Kristilyn, that meant front row seats!!  I made badges for everyone in the group, and another EBB, Rola,  made the wonderful poster :) We hoped to get some recognition from the authors as well as recruit new members, and it worked! We found one at the event and a couple more later that night as we were all tweeting about it online.  We now have 15 members in our group! WOW!!
Front row!!

There's quite a crowd! Hi Rola ;) Excited much?

The time was passed very quickly - we never run out of things to talk about!  The staff at Westside Chapters were very accommodating to us - even allowing us to add Leanne and her mom to the group when they arrived late, and they helped us by taking group pictures with all our cameras.  We felt famous... almost!  LOL- I wonder if they were just as surprised by our little group as we were ourselves??  Who knew there'd be so many of us? Well, we ended up on the twitter event page, so maybe we are semi-famous now? ( or infamous.... I'll have to think on it...)  A few of the authors mentioned us on their blogs as well - Charles DeLint was taking pics of us!!  (I get ahead of myself... LOL)

GROUP SHOT!


 So after all the Smart Chicks, and one smart Chuck were introduced, we got to play a little game where we guessed 'who said that' - The three I remembered the most was that Charles was raised by crows, Beth has double jointed shoulders (and demonstrated for us OUCH!) and Veronica is scared of spiders! LOL  Margaret Stohl was the life of the party - she is absolutely hilarious!  She also hosted the 'lightning round' We could ask them any question that could also be asked of anyone in the room, and they all had to answer the first thing that came to mind!  Questions were things like favorite author, music, and my favorite "Fifty Shades: Yay or Nay?" (Most said nay - one gave a kind of iffy yay!  Hahaha)

Here's Margaret!

From the left, this is Charles DeLint, Veronica Roth, Margaret Stohl, Melissa Marr... 
cont...  Kelley Armstrong, Beth Revis, and Ally Condie WHEW! Fantastic lineup!

 Veronica Roth - author of Divergent, Insurgent and 'Detergent' 

 Allie Condie - Author of Crossed and Matched

 Kelley Armstrong - Canadian author of many books, including the Darkest Powers Trilogy and Women of the Otherworld

 Beth Revis - author of Across the Universe and A Million Suns 

 Margaret Stohl - co-author of  Beautiful Creatures series

 Charles DeLint - Canadian author of many, most recently Under My Skin

 Melissa Marr - author of Wicked Lovely series and Carnival of Souls, and others


So we finally got our chance to meet and greet! Yay!!  I look stupified in all my pics, but I'm sure that's not the fault of my lovely personal photographer! (ie, the Chapters staffmember that followed me with my camera down the line!  She was great! She even asked me what pics I wanted and which author's I wanted the most pictures of. And she did it! I forgot to ask her her name (bad me!!) but THANK YOU SO MUCH!!)  I was third in line and totally unprepared for what I would say - I was concentrating more on getting the books in the right order  HAHAHA




I really wish I had books from every author, but I can only buy so many at once!  Hahaha.  The ones I didn't have books for, I at least said Hi, and grabbed signed bookmarks. Everyone was so nice! Charles was the only one to ask about my blog, and I think I mumbled something about it - can't remember what it was!  OIIII I probably sounded challenged   

I had a fun conversation with Veronica about how I was on Team Amity when all the promos for Insurgent were going on - and BTW Team Amity won!  Can I pick them or what?

 I  love how she's a south paw :)


Wow, so, because we were only allowed to have 3 books per author, and my friend, Sarah was still en route to the event, I hoped back into line to wait for her and hold a place.  Turns out there were 750 people waiting there!  That was the largest Smart Chicks turn out so far!  I really hope that this sends a message to all the publishers out there that Edmontonians love their authors!   We want more events like this!  We love to read! (I mean, what else have we got to do during 9 months of winter???)

Thank you so much to Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr for organizing this tour, which all the authors funded themselves, I might add, and they picked which cities they wanted to come to :)  I hope you change your minds about this being the last year for Smart Chicks!

And another huge HURRAH!!! to Westside Chapters, for the wonderful, well organized, fun event!  You guys rocked!  And it wasn't just because of the DJ........


14 comments:

  1. YES! WE NEED MORE EVENTS LIKE THIS!!

    Great recap, Tammy! I also wish I had books from ALL the authors. I think the only one I was missing was Charles de Lint and that's only because Margaret Stohl was in an anthology.

    That's crazy that this was the largest stop!! I hope they come back again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan on reading something by all on them in the near future :) Working on The Gathering - Kelley Armstrong right now....

      Delete
  2. ahahahaha that picture of me.. tsk tsk. you're a bad timer for taking pics. thanks for sharing this. It was a fun time & all the authors were amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad timer?!?! But that's my favorite picture of the evening!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh my god, Rola!! HAHA, loving that picture. Awesome recap, I love all the pictures. And wow, we ended up on their blogs?! That's crazy!!

    I really hope they do another event like this, it was SO FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, Tammy! :D Where's Charles de Lint's blog??? He actually posted pictures of us...that is so neat! :D

    Thanks for sharing your recap with us, and it was great seeing you there! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and find it again - he tweeted his instagram pics (or maybe it was lockerz..... I can't remember)

      Delete
    2. Well I found some on his facebook - but there were others on instagram or lockerz.... I can't remember which one it was!

      https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151424182087222.585959.218001537221&type=3

      Delete
    3. I did see his Facebook one after I searched a little. haha That's pretty cool that we were mentioned by him. :D

      Delete
  5. Oh, I know I was VERY surprised by your group when I stood up to wave, expecting 2 or 3 people to wave back at me. Oh boy, I was practically bowled over in shock when I saw a whole group of people turning back to look and wave at me!! I really, really hope the turnout proves to authors and publishers that us Edmontonians can bring the crowds and we can score more events like this! It was just so much fun - the authors really knew how to entertain, especially Margaret! I hope I can meet you sometime, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recap!! Hard to believe that night was only a week ago! I had so much fun with everyone and I really hope the success of this event sets the stage for future author events at this caliber. And at least you were able to form sentences to talk to the authors! LOL. I get sooo shy and end up saying nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm used to talking to people all day because of my work!! But I'm not great at starting a conversation out of the blue. I had no idea what to say to the ones I didn't have a book to sign.... 'Hi I don't have your book so Imma going to stand here awkwardly and steal your swag...." just didn't seem right! LOL

      Delete